Friday, July 30, 2010

Bridging the gap! by Mrs. C

My sister is visiting me for one month, and I'm realizing more and more that the words my mom said were true--"you'll love to have your sister around when you're older."

Growing up, my sister and I were not really friends. I loved her and always have, but she's my sister. Don't I have to? (just kidding, I want to) Actually, due to our difference in age, my sister seemed more like a nuissance than a friend. She drove me nuts in her early years. I even once tried to mail her to Timbuktu, leaving her next to the townhouse mailboxes with the same address that Garfield used for Otie. My mom often put me in charge of Ally, and it was so inconvenient. I would find myself having so much fun with my friends, only to turn around and realize that Ally was gone. Ugh! My mom had the fire department and police out for that one.
She was found, sitting on her trike, stuck on a speedbump in the back of the complex. I used to wonder why she insisted that I take Ally as a tag-a-long when I'd lose her; didn't she get the hint? What 9 year old is in charge of their 4 year old sister? And when I'd complain about Ally whining over everything and crying, my mom would say, "Deal with it. You'll love her when you're older."

Well, fast forward a few years. She wasn't as much of a nuissance; she was tolerable. Still, I didn't always want her around. I would get so upset because she'd take things from my room. And everyone always knew that whatever Ally "borrowed" came back broken, very roughly used, or didn't come back at all. I felt like I had a keen sense on when she was in my room. It was like she purposely rearranged my decorations as she found her way through my belongings. To my teenage self, that was so frustrating. I didn't have patience for a child looking or touching my things just because she liked me. That did not even register in my mind. So, we fought. We had few interests in common, because she was 10 and I was 15. We didn't have friends in common, or favorite shows or favorite music--Ally's favorite song was "Mmm bop" by Hanson and I was more into rocking Gwen Stefani or Reba or Pearl Jam or I don't even remember. But there were always moments when we would hang out and get along, and it was fun. We painted nails, did hair, enjoyed the girly things. In many ways, I think Ally was almost forced to grow up faster; she had me to keep up with. And when you're young, 5 years makes a huge difference!

Now. Here I am, 28 years old, and my sister is 23. She's here visiting for one month, and I've enjoyed every bit of it. We have laughed many things, and I feel so comfortable. She knows my quirks and silliness, and she knows how to have fun with it. We've reminisced about funny times and talked about our family. She has been a huge help with my kids (helping me get them dressed, helping buckle them in, getting shoes on, etc), and I haven't even asked her to. And that has made the time even more enjoyable! And she's like the potty cop; she sends Evan to the potty all the time to avoid accidents! She shares my enthusiasm for contests and prizes, and so we've taken in a few contests around town. It's been great! I don't feel like we're 5 years apart anymore; I feel like we're friends and sisters. And I truly enjoy having her around!

1 comment: