Saturday, December 11, 2010

Beggars can be choosers...I guess by Mrs. C

So, today, I called the Mission (our homeless shelter) offering VERY gently used toys to donate. I figured that the kids at the homeless shelter could get some great use out of these toys, and with Christmas coming around, maybe they could get a little something. I'm not talking about donating toys that are not usable or so overused that they're really garbage; these are toys that I had set aside to sell in the consignment sale myself, but I figured that others could benefit instead. I was a little sad when they told me they would only accept new toys.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think it's nice to have a new toy. But in these times, I think it's more difficult to get people to do the angel tree more than once. We've already done the angel tree twice now. Not to brag, but two times is really all we can afford. BUT I can definitely afford to share the love of really nice toys that have been gently used. They're clean, they're not missing parts, and they are definitely not garbage. So why can't they accept these and give them to the sweet little kids at the shelter? Would they rather the kids get nothing as opposed to something used? I don't mean to sound like a miser, but when did beggars become choosers?

I think there should be an angel tree type program to give kids toys for Christmas that would accept gently used toys. These toys would, of course, be screened to ensure that they work, have all the parts, etc. I would be more than willing to go through our closets and toys and find LOTS of things that are in great shape to share with others. Heck, my kids get used toys for Christmas sometimes, and they don't even know the difference. People buy used items for gifts on Ebay and CraigsList; why not accept the donation of one?

1 comment:

  1. So true! The only problem is everyone has a different idea of "gently used." Chuckles...

    ReplyDelete